Avocado Dry Matter Resource
September 28, 2019 at 12:16 am | Updated September 28, 2019 at 12:16 am | < 1 min read
Avocado Minimum Dry Matter Levels
Avocados must have a minimum of 21% dry matter (page 4 of https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trade/agr/standard/standard/fresh/FFV-Std/English/42_Avocados.pdf) before they can be harvested to meet consumer tastes. The ideal dry matter content, however, varies. It depends on the variety, season, and region where the avocado is cultivated. The dry matter content for different varieties and regions are:
- 17.7%-24.2% depending on variety in California (resource found here and here)
- 24% for Haas in New Zealand
- 23% for Haas in Australia (additional reading here.)
- 21% for Shepard in Australia (additional reading here)
- 21% minimum for avocados in Israel. 22.8% for “Hass” and 21% for “Fuerte” (pages 26 and 27, FAO) (additional reading here)
- 23.5% for Haas grown in Columbia (additional reading here)
- 27% for Lamb Haas in South Africa (additional reading here)
So while 23% is the optimum in most parts of the world, avocados in New Zealand are immature if harvested with 23% of dry matter. They need to have 24% of dry matter. These standards are set by the government and closely monitored.
Related ProductsF-901 AccuRipe & AccuStore F-751 Melon Quality Meter F-751 Kiwifruit Quality Meter F-750 Produce Quality Meter F-751 Avocado Quality Meter F-751 Mango Quality Meter F-900 Portable Ethylene Analyzer F-950 Three Gas Analyzer F-920 Check It! Gas Analyzer F-960 Ripen It! Gas Analyzer F-940 Store It! Gas Analyzer
- Check out our NEW Quick-Start Guide for model building with the F-750 Produce Quality Meter!
- Felix Instruments Demos the All New Avocado Quality Meter with Distributor Biotempak at the Congreso del Aguacate, Jalisco 2018
- Felix Instruments at “1er Congreso del aguacate
- 12 Seconds to Measure Fruit Maturity – Felix Instruments’ Avocado Quality Meter Featured in Fructidor!
Most Popular Articles
- The Importance of Food Quality Testing
- Ethylene (C2H4) – Ripening, Crops & Agriculture
- NIR Applications in Agriculture – Everything…
- Liquid Spectrophotometry & Food Industry Applications
- Spectrophotometry in 2021
- Brix as a Metric of Fruit Maturity
- Active Packaging: What it is and why it’s important
- Guide to Fresh Fruit Quality Control
- Headspace Analysis & Modified Atmosphere…
- The 5 Most Important Parameters in Produce Quality Control
Felix Instruments Demos the All New Avocado Quality Meter with Distributor Biotempak at the Congreso del Aguacate, Jalisco 2018
12 Seconds to Measure Fruit Maturity – Felix Instruments’ Avocado Quality Meter Featured in Fructidor!
Request a quote for a Felix product
Pricing and all related materials will be sent directly to your inbox.